Saturday, January 8, 2011

I said. I did.

I had made the comment yesterday that if I get an early start on my morning walk I would do 20 miles. Well this morning I was on the trail at 0730. I just reached my 5 mile mark when I remembered what I had said. As I was walking back toward the car I said to myself "What were you thinking?" When I got to the parking lot I opened my car and grabbed my banana and my water and headed back out on the trail. As I passed each mile marker I would say "I said. I did." I kept pushing on and at mile 15 I hit the wall. I made the first 10 miles in 2 hours and 3 minutes. The next 10 miles was 2 hours and 17 minutes. By the time I was back to the car I was ready to collapse. I sat down and exclaimed "I said. I did."

Then I was thinking, why did I do that. No body would know what I had said the day before. No body would care that I did or didn't do it. But I would know. And it was that important to me. So that has become my motto for the new year. "I said. I did."