Thursday, September 4, 2008


Well, this is my first attempt at a blog. I saw Donnie's pond on Brenda's blog and I got pond envy. My pond was an experiment to see if I liked having a pond and how muck work was involved in taking care of it. As it turns out it is not much work and the water sounds right outside the window is very relaxing. I had three koi in my pond but the raccoons have it down to just one. What you do not see in the picture is the electric fence that runs around the pond to keep unwanted fishermen out. I also have several rescue fish in the pond. Last year with all the rain we had the low water areas in the park had small fish in them. As the water started to evaporate the fish were in danger of being mud puppies. Christopher and I went out to those low water areas armed with a small net and a Bill Miller tea bucket and gathered up as many as we could and now they keep my lone koi company. I also have a perch in the pond. I can only assume that one of the small minnows that we rescued was actually a small perch. He is now as big as my hand and he is trained to come up for food. I still haven't trained the koi to come up for food. He is probably traumatized the the raccoon attacks.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

So when do you start on the real pond?

Danny said...

I hope to start one in the back yard next summer. It still wont be as big as Donnie's as that would take up the entire back yard. Keeping the dogs out would be the problem.

Terio said...

You could always create a rock garden type water feature. The water would be second to the rocks and succulants!

Brenda said...

Teri's idea of a water feature sounds nice. Your worried about the dogs getting into the pond and we are worried about cats falling into the pond. I'm thinking that they will only do that once.

Jenn said...

Hey, Uncle Danny is here! Your pond is nice, I like the Homeless Shelter for the fishies! haha