Saturday, October 11, 2008

You know you're a redneck.....


I was cleaning off the counter and I have three containers of coins. They have been sitting on the counter for the better part of four years. So I sorted out the coins and made some rolls of nickels, dimes, and pennies. When all was said and done I had 2 dime rolls and 5 nickel rolls and more penny rolls than I care to count. Ashley wanted a pumpkin pie from Bill Millers and Melanie wanted some coleslaw. I grabbed the rolls and told Ashley to head to the car. Only when we were on our way out of the neighborhood did Ashley realize what was going on. "Aw Dad, your not paying with THAT are you?" Why not, it's money isn't it? "But it's not real money. Nobody pays with change!" Not true, I do. "You're going to embarrass me" Well, we pulled up to the drive through and there were several cars in line. I recount my coin rolls that I brought with me, 10 dollars in nickels, 10 dollars in dimes and 7 dollars in quarters. I looked at the menu and placed my order, a whole pumpkin pie, 4 chopped beef sandwiches, 2 ice teas, and 2 orders of fries. I look over at Ashley and she is mortified. "You've got to be kidding me?" Well while we were out may as well get something for dinner. She was really trying to make herself small and disappear. I pulled up to the window and the lady said that will be 20 dollars and 91 cents. Perfect I exclaimed. I handed her the rolls of nickels and dimes along with a dollar bill. I heard the lady ask the manager, "Do we take these?", holding up the rolls of change. At that point Ashley rolled her eyes and avoided eye contact. "Sure do" the manager said. She handed me the food and gave me my change. As we were driving out I said CRAP. "What's wrong?" I should of told her to keep the change!!! "Dad, you're such a redneck!"

3 comments:

Terio said...

That is so funny!! I think that you should have made AShley go inside, by herself, to pay! WHen will Ashley start driving? That will be a good way to keep her home: give her only change!!

Jenn said...

Poor Ashley, she never stood a chance! Little does she realize it will never "change", never get better. You will always be embarrassing her! Make sure you tell her I feel her pain!

Shannon said...

Poor Ashley! She is right you are a redneck but then so is your brother! When we unpacked in Jakarta one box was REALLY heavy. I opened it, inside were 4 jars of coins. I asked why David didn't send those to storage and he said he didn't want them stolen. Dork! I made sure they went to storage this time.