Saturday, November 28, 2009

Owl House Update

Well, it has been almost a year since my project was completed. It was quite a chore getting the house to the top of the tree. It was a big production getting it attached to the tree limb as well. Looking back, building it was the easy part! I keep looking up at the box but I have not seen any signs that anything has moved in. The perch looks the same as does the paint job. I even keep looking on the ground under the house to see if I can see any droppings or even an owl pellet. Nothing. No visible signs at all.

Then, the other day Christopher tells me that the owls are too loud and he can't sleep at night. I said "Yeah, right." "No, really Dad you need to pull the house down." he tells me. I have been listening but I didn't hear anything. We came home late on Thanksgiving from my dad's house. As I was walking up the walkway to the front door I heard it. "Whoo.....Whooo". I opened the front door and let everyone in and then went back outside to see if I could see anything. I heard it again. It sounded like it was coming from the tree on the side of the house. I stayed very still looking in the dark to get a glimpse of what was making this sound. ( I researched the sound on line and it sounds like a Horned owl.)

I waited but could not determine where exactly the sound came from or what had made it. It is still a mystery. I now have a new past time in the evenings, looking for owls. I may have to just sit up on the deck for an evening. I will see if I can get a picture. If not then maybe I can get a sound track to post.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I know there are owls down in the woods by Paul's so it doesn't surprise me. Wait until one of those things looks in Chris's window one night. I almost pissed my pants one night when I was a kid, I was up late reading a scary novel when the Horned owl that nested at my Mom's landed in the tree just outside my window. I could see it's eyes and it kept making a sound like a cat dying. Slept with the lights on that night.

Danny said...

I am almost positive that it is a great horned owl. Unfortunately from what I read it will not move into my house.