Thursday, November 19, 2009

This Little Piggy

I have a pair of shoes that I keep at work. They are very broken in. In fact I have had to suture them up several times now. I just can’t part with them. That is one reason why they are at work. If I brought them home I would be afraid they would disappear. I have a new pair that is exactly the same only in black. The problem is most new shoes hurt my little piggy that cried all the way home on my right foot. That is a story all its own.

The house we lived in while we were in Pecan Valley had a laundry room just inside the back door. That was one of our play rooms. There was a pipe that ran across the ceiling. Donnie and I loved to climb up on the washer and dryer and leap to the pipe. We then would swing out from the pipe and land on a pile of clothes. All the while yelling like Tarzan. Oh what fun!

We also make our lunch quite often. Peanut butter and jelly was a staple. We liked to use the Bama swirl. It is the two swirled together. Back in the day most everything came in a glass jar. Donnie was making his sandwich and the jar slipped out of his hands and fell to the floor. Of course not wanting to get into trouble he cleaned up his mess with a towel. (I’m sure by now a picture is starting to form.)

Latter that day we were playing Tarzan in the laundry room. I pushed the dirty clothes out the door to have a soft landing place. I climbed up on the washer and started my very best yell. I jumped out and grabbed the pipe, swung out and let go. I made a perfect landing in the pile. I felt a pinch on my foot. I looked down and saw blood everywhere.

I backed off the clothes and looked down at my foot. The little toe was dangling off to the side and blood was dripping very fast. Donnie grabbed a dish towel and wrapped up my foot and hollered for Mom. One more trip to the emergency room. I think they knew us on a first name basis as we were there a lot!

The toe was stitched back on with apparently little trouble. I don’t recall how many stitches it took but the scar goes completely around the toe. To this day I still can’t bend the little toe or even move it. I just started to get feeling back in it.

That is why I love my old shoes. I have them broken in really well. They have stretched in all the right places and my little piggy doesn’t cry all the way home!

No comments: