Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Third times a charm, I hope




The first grass that was in my back Yard was Tifway 419 Bermuda. That did not go very well at all. The back yard doesn't get much sun and having the dogs doesn't help. Dogs usually just create paths around a yard, that I can put up with. The second time I put zoysia grass down. My foot was broken at the time and I had 6 pallets to toss. And to top that off, the grass was delivered early and I had not prepared the ground. I watered the grass in every other day for the first month and then once a month after that. That grass lasted a few years then faded out. I got to the point that I had just dirt. This last weekend I hope I did it right this time. I hand dug the area where I placed the sod and used Scott's lawn feed to get it started. This time I went With St Augustine grass. It should take the shade better because it has a wider blade. I also learned that if you use a lawn roller to press the roots into the fresh tilled soil the grass will do much better. I searched all of San Antonio for a lawn roller and I finally found one to buy. For those of you who don't know what a roller is, it looks like a poly drum with a handle to push or pull it across the grass. The one I bought gets filled with water to add the weight which takes it to 270 pounds. I also read that fresh sod should be watered 3 to 4 times a day for the first 14 days to get the root system started. I lucked out. This weekend while I was tossing grass it was pouring down rain. It has rained every day. If this grass does well and stays green i will do the rest of the yard. The dogs like the new grass as well.









No comments: